I only really bake for the people I truly love <3 Mainly because I feel it takes a bit more patience and care…and you need to concentrate! Otherwise the whole thing will crumble…literally. So today, as I was mentally preparing myself for Jennifer Saunders book-signing (in which I predicted I would get to meet sed hero!), I decided to bake a tasty ‘ANZAC day‘ inspired treat to give to my favourite comedian, and all round great gal, as she signs my copy of ‘Bonkers’.
I decided to liven up the ordinary Anzac recipe by adding fresh dates and pecans for a moorish twist, mixed in a nice hint of orange as well…because the dark chocolate coating called for a bit of Jaffa action!
- 1 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup desiccated coconut
- 150g butter, chopped
- 3 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 cup dates, pitted and sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup pecan, lightly toasted, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup juice and 1 tbs (heaped) zest of an orange
- 120g dark chocolate (at least 50% cocoa)
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease a slice pan and line the base with baking paper – cover the sides with paper too if you’re so inclined…I tend not to bother as I am a fan of a crunchy crust 🙂
2. Combine flour, oats, sugar, dates, pecan, peel and coconut in a large bowl and mix to combine.
3. Place butter, syrup and the OJ in a saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until butter has melted. Remove from heat. Stir in bicarbonate of soda. Now stir butter mixture into oat mixture…hey presto!
4. Transfer slice mixture into prepared pan. Using the back of a spoon, press mixture evenly into the pan so its all even and firmly packed. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
5. Cool to room temperature in the pan, then flip your slice out onto a chopping block (or serving tray) and douce in melted dark chocolate. Allow to cool in the fridge for 10-15 for the chocolate to set <3
Serve in a sweet little carry bag for convenience and ration out to your favorite people….and hope they love it!
To find out more about what M&G are up to, go to our kickstarter project to see what we have planned for July! Bringing a whole new TV series to life this year and we would love your support <3