Hey Guys! Getting ready for Valentines and want to make something sweet for your sweetie? Maybe you’re just into dessert like I am lately. Either way this recipe is SO SIMPLE! And its plant based, so, win!
I discovered this concoction a few weeks back during vegan January and it’s so good that I’m still making them, its a bit of a cheat as the vegan ‘custard’ isn’t made by me but the combination of flavours is so good that even the non vegans in my household are LOVING them, that in itself is worth a share. If you’re not vegan there is nothing stopping you substituting the dairy free spread for butter and the alpro ‘custard’ for real custard or creme anglaise if you so wish, but why bother when this is so easy and tastes just as good, I say.
This recipe serves 2
You will need:
- 1 banana (sliced in around 5mm thick slices)
- 2 x 125g tubs of alpro vanilla dessert or custard
- 10 sweet ginger biscuits (I used IKEA Pepparkaka)
- 2 tbsp pistachio nuts
- 2 tsp dairy free spread
In a mortar and pestle, food processor or just with a knife, chop or grind your pistachios into pieces that you’re happy with.
Into a dry frying pan add the nuts and over a low heat slowly stir them until they smell of popcorn then put them aside.
Crush your biscuits into a crumb consistency in either a food processor, mortar and pestle or put into a plastic bag and use a rolling pin.
Into the frying pan add the dairy free spread until melted then add the biscuits and nuts and stir until evenly combined then set aside.
Layer 2 tumblers like so:
- 3-4 tsp of the biscuit based crumb mix in each tumbler bottom
- Cover with sliced banana and stick extra slices around the side for decoration (these should stick to the glass easily)
- Put half of one 125g tub of alpro vanilla dessert onto the bananas in each tumbler
- Another layer of banana goes on top of the ‘custard’
- 1 tsp of biscuit crumb mixture sprinkled on the banana
- Layer the final half tubs of the ‘custard’ mixture into the tumblers
- Top with the remaining crumb mixture and a slice of banana
These can be eaten straight away but I liked to let mine chill in the fridge for at least 30 mins so the biscuit base goes hard.
So simple and really delicious!